[Dixielandjazz] "Fugues" in Dixieland

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Dec 10 09:52:40 PST 2007

 Bill Haesler wrote:

(snip)
> Tom said:
>> Speaking of fugues. I have been led to understand that a chorus or two of
>> all the front line horns improvising without the rhythm
>> .................But seriously folks. What do others call it?
>
> In our rhythm section, we call it 'wank' music.
> It also, in most cases, reveals that the front line can't keep time!
> Or count.
> One of my pet hates.
> Just kidding - well almost.
> 8>)
 (snip)

In our circles out here on the Left Coast, we just say "No rhythm.  I know
that it really turns on the crowd but... personally I hate it.  To me it is
a cheap trick which has very little musical value.

I have only heard it done with taste a couple of times.  Otherwise, I can do
without it.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

--Bob Ringwald
Fulton Street Jazz Band