[Dixielandjazz] "Fugues" in Dixieland, was RE: What Instruments should be used for Trad Jazz? (orFugues)

tduncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Sun Dec 9 09:10:32 PST 2007

Speaking of fugues. I have been led to understand that a chorus or two of
all the front line horns improvising without the rhythm (or, maybe, just
with drums) is known in OKOM as a "fugue." Of course, my Doctor of Music
cornetist maintained this is in no way a fugue and suggested facetiously
that chaconne was a better comparison. So, now I call this as, "let's play a
chaconne, fugue, call it what you will" and it works for us.

But seriously folks. What do others call it?

Regards,

Tom Duncan
Doctor Dubious and the Agnostics
PO Box 2118      Teaneck, NJ 07666
P   (201)836-6076     FAX   (201)833-4143
www.doctordubious.com