[Dixielandjazz] Black jazzers was Lincoln Center

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 8 21:49:42 PST 2007

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com>

>> Steve Barbone wrote:
>> (snip)
>> Both programs include some great jazz musicians who swing their butts off
>> and should put to rest the idea that black jazzers today don't play OKOM.
>> (snip)
>
> Funny thing is, they do in New Orleans.  But seems as if pretty much nowhere
> else.
>
> We would welcome any blacks, or for that matter, anyone of any race, if they
> played OKOM.  In our local Jazz Society, we had one black bass player who
> since has passed away.  I don't think out of maybe 150 active musicians in
> the club, that we have any.  Too bad...

I agree. Black OKOM musicians don't seem to be in too many OKOMjazz
societies in the USA. Seems to be that way here in the Eastern USA also.
Perhaps a cultural thing?

However, I have 3 black OKOM musicians who play in my band. The two that
play regularly with us are Paul Grant, trumpet, and Mike Piper, drums. The
first call sub is trombonist Clarence Watson. They are not members of the
local Jazz Societies.

And last year ago I played a six piece Dixieland gig in Wilmington DE as a
sideman where the other 5 players were Black.

We have all the bases covered in the regular band. Whites, Blacks, Women and
every once in a while a Muslim guitarist from Afghanistan. (plus Christians,
Jews and Atheists). Came about through networking among the local working
musicians, outside of the musicians in the local Jazz Societies.

Makes for both interesting music and interesting discussions. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone