[Dixielandjazz] Banjitar in early trad jazz

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Dec 4 11:26:28 PST 2007

Some years ago a fellow teacher gave me two banjos and a tear drop mandolin.
One Banjo was an antique hand made instrument and was pretty crude but
playable.  The other was a Banjo Uke.   I kind of got a kick out of the uke.
About three years after she gave them to me she figured out that they might
be valuable, maybe she found a buyer or maybe she just thought they were
worth a buck.  Anyway she came into my band room and demanded them back and
told me she had just loaned them to me when I told her she had given them to
me.  One of the kids had dropped the Mandolin and broke out a section.  She
wasn't happy about that.

When she gave them to me they were so much trash and in her way.  It's funny
how clutter that you are glad to get rid of suddenly becomes valuable
antiques.  I gave them back but I wasn't real happy about it.  Not because
they were valuable but because she had given them to me.
Larry
StL