[Dixielandjazz] Deering Banjitars

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Dec 4 10:48:17 PST 2007

I suppose that anything is possible and I have never played on one of these
but I found the six string banjo with a guitar neck to be muddy sounding.
So far as the extra light strings go they are a lot easier to play but don't
do a lot for tone.  They work out OK for guitar and I have used them (silk
and steel) extensively when I was playing guitar and with new students but
so far as tone production goes they lack something.

I think it's like a reed on a clarinet.  A two or 2 1/2 is OK for a rank
beginner but if the kid wants to play in the upper register and have any
sound he needs at least a 3.  Then there is the mouthpiece factor that might
change the equation.  Maybe this instrument through it's engineering changes
the equation but I doubt it.

I think strings on a guitar could be compared to those reeds.  The light
weight ones for beginners and occasional players but I don't think pros use
them as being too wimpy.  The best acoustic player I ever played with used a
pretty heavy string and they were pretty far off of the fingerboard but this
guy had chops.

Even though anything is possible I really doubt the advertising copy on this
one and I think the line about the light weight strings flies a red flag but
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Larry
STL