[Dixielandjazz] Lily of the Valley

Ingemar Wågerman gotariver at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 00:16:21 PST 2007

I have tried for years to find out the origin of the tune Lily of the
Valley, which was recorded by Paul Barbarin in 1951. Rev F.W. McGee recorded
the first part ("Everybody don´t know...") in 1930, but what happened
between 1930 and 1951?? The tune is called a "Wartime favorite" in the liner
notes of GHB LP 139 (Don Albert - Louis Cotrell...), so it must have been
well-known before Barbarin recorded it. But no there are no recordings
known! I wonder if there are any musicians left, who played it before 1951.
Any suggestions?

My "investigation" will hopefully result in an extensive article, maybe at
the Gothenburg University. I have found many interesting connections between
"Oh Happy Day", "Everybody Ought to Know", "What a Friend we have in Jesus"
and some other songs and tunes, but the origin of the second part ("He´s the
Lily of the Valley...")  is still unclear. It sounds  like "What a
friend..." but the chords in bar 5-6 and 7-8 are reversed.

I have found more than 200 recordings of this tune, and I try to compare the
melody, the chords and lyrics variations. The list can be seen on our web
site below.

Our band recorded it this year on our CD09, with a medley of "Lily"
melodies.

Maybe someone can help?

All the best from Sweden

Ingemar Wågerman