[Dixielandjazz] Brian Harvy vs. Raymer Sound

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 2 08:25:00 PST 2007

Brian wrote: (polite snip) about Raymer's refusal to send several CDs for
review to his radio station. -

>They (Raymer) refused saying - amazingly -

>"It is not the policy of Raymer Sound to send copies of CDs for review or
>promotion on any large scale. In our experience, bands usually know who
>they wish to receive complimentary copies and the most effective ways of
>promoting themselves. We do all we can to keep costs as low as possible so
>that our customers have the best possible price. Indeed we have come across
>bands who positively do not wish their CDs to be sent for review - even
>though they are good bands!! We do mention your show to bands so they may
>well send you a CD.

I can see their point, though like Brian, I may not agree with it generally.
But I do  agree with them that bands should send CDs out to various radio
stations, and or other outlets that may help them promote. However Raymer is
wrong IMO, saying that bands generally know "the most effective ways of
promoting themselves." In my experience, the reverse is much more likely.

No doubt some bands do not want their records reviewed, and some wouldn't
supply a "free" CD to anyone on general principles. Fine, as Harry Callaghan
of www.OKOM.com says, "screw them". Go for the other bands and labels that
are eager to and do provide CDs.

Or, <grin> test the power of your listeners. Tell them to call/write Raymer
and ask why the hell they and/or their bands, are so anal about something
that would result in more CD sales and a wider audience.

Or have have them contact the bands directly.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone