[Dixielandjazz] Big Time Woman

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 31 21:44:54 PDT 2007

Phil O'Rourke wrote:
> Dug from my past records..............etc.

Dear Phil,
Thanks for the lead.
A search of the January 2006 DJML archive reveals the whole thread.
However, my memory of two tunes has now been jogged, although I have
yet to go back to the DJML archive to verify this.
I believe it was to do with the composer credit for the Roosevelt Sykes
(as Willie Kelly) recording of "Big Time Woman", a different tune, made
for Victor in Memphis on 17 November 1930 with (I think) credit to
Crawley as author. (Vi 23270).
The Wilton Crawley recording of "Big Time Woman" was recorded for
Victor on 3 June 1930 but issued AFTER the Kelly version. (Vi 23292). I
have both on record and they are different blues with different words.
Hence the query at the time. Which I attempted to resolve.
No point in getting too far back into this old thread, as you have
provided the requested lyrics for the Crawley version.
Regards,
Bill.