[Dixielandjazz] Is Jazz Dying?

Laurence Swain l.swain at comcast.net
Thu Aug 30 16:23:57 PDT 2007

Ron L'Herault wrote:

    Ray's post got me a bit upset so I didn't answer right away and I was not
    sure where to begin.  I've been listening to Dixieland/New Orleans/Ragtime
    since I was a kid of 13 or 14 and I still hear tunes I never heard before.
    The style covers music from the late 1800s to the 1950s, to say the least,
    so 60 or so years of music means that there are a lot of tunes to choose
    from.   I've been playing since the 1970s and I dare say, I have not
    played the same tune twice exactly the same way (and probably not entirely
    correctly either).  There are timing variations, tempo variations, tone
    colors, changes in volume and solo order, not to mention changes in
    personnel with whom I've played.  My playing changes in different
    settings, venues and with different people.  The possibilities are
    joyfully endless!

As is so often the case, I agree whole-heartedly with Ron (full disclosure:  I have worked gigs
with Ron, and have always had a good time doing it).

In my case, I will often play a few tunes -- just few --  from beyond the 50s, as well as the
older ones (played solo at a wedding reception this past weekend -- all "standards" -- 91-yr-
old grandmother of the bride had a good time; she sang along with every tune, all the words
included).

And the younger folks at the recption let me know they really enjoyed the stuff I was doing --
a reaction I often get, and a clear reflection of the fact that these kids rarely are exposed to
OKOM, but, when they are, usually have a ball.

We should all be working to get OKOM in front of the kids.  Steve B. toots the same horn. It's
what we need to do to keep OKOM alive.  I was fortunate to have been a kid during the trad
jazz revival of the 50s, and got off on it then, and have stayed with it for the rest of my life (so
far).

All the best,

Larry Swain