[Dixielandjazz] Wally Homes, Director of the Sweet and Hot Festival, on Jackie Coon.

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Mon Aug 20 22:48:44 PDT 2007

 From the August 2007 American Rag by Wally Homes. (Additional comments
at the end by Mad Dog.)

Jackie Coon died at his home in Hawaii sometime near the end
March, 2007. Congestive heart failure took him down and after
a few weeks took him out.

To say he was one of the great jazz players of the 20th century might be
stretching it a little, but not by much. And to say he was one of the
great classic jazz players is not stretching one bit.  Jackie, an
absolute original, played with a thirties sense of swing so
unobtrusively invigorating it gathered in every jazz musician he took
the stand with. He could play with trad, swing bop or straight ahead
musicians and fit in.  Why?  Because he always played Jackie Coon music,
his music, and when you're blowing your own mind, your very own, nobody
can take that away from you.

I don't think anyone who ever played with him can describe exactly what
it was that set him apart.  I know I can't. But whatever special elixir
he gently mixed into every set, it was always there.  And a Jackie Coon
chorus -man would I like to hear another one right now -one of those
lilting floaters he always played.  Jackie's sound moving lightly over
the top of the rhythm section, quietly creating a center, a focal point,
a feeling of jazz tranquility that always managed to permeate the
players as well as much of the audience.  One more thing about a Jackie
Coon chorus: he'd be swinging along, making us all feel good when
suddenly, from somewhere (maybe that Jazz Utopia all jazz players keep
looking for) he'd play a phrase so fresh, so original, you'd have to
shake your head in disbelief.  Maybe it was only four or five notes put
together in some unusual way but it was enough to let you in on a moment
of truth.

And Jackie as a person: He was one of the most gentle people I've ever
been around.  Find me anybody who ever heard Jackie say something
negative, about anyone and I'll buy you a drink. And by the time you
finish it I'll bet I can convince you Jackie didn't say it in the first
place.

Don't look for Jackie on the internet.  He never got famous, not even
well known.  Every time he had a shot at becoming big (and their were
several) he walked away from it.  But if you want to find out more just
ask Jake Hanna, Eddie Erickson, Howard Alden or any musician who had the
good fortune to be on the stand with him over the last forty years--and
man will you hear some stories.

The end. (unquote)

If someone else has not posted the above to the DJML, I think it should
be, for Jackies fans. There must be a few on the list that remember
Jackie. I know I do. It has been a long time since I last saw and heard
Jackie, but I always hoped I would again someday. Not just as a musician
who was fun to listen to, but as a person. A true "gentle giant".

My own remembrance is a personal one also, but I remember it like
yesterday. At a time long before many of the musicians would condescend
to even speak to a sound mixer or learn your name, Jackie would always
act like a long lost friend when we saw each other. Of course as Wally
says, he was that way with everyone he knew even casually. There are a
few others like that. Eddie Erickson, for one, one of those mentioned by
Wally as a friend of Jackies, is cut from the same cloth. Perhaps it
rubs off! Or is part of the common area of Ca. they come from?

You would often see Jackie even before it was his time to come on stage,
something not true of all musicians. The last conversation I remember
having with him, long ago now, was when he came into the Hangover Room
at the LA festival for a set and said to me,  "You and I are the only
ones in this room that never seem to look any older."   That was still
at a time back when I still looked younger then my age. No longer the
case. Jackie, of course, also always looked the same over the years.  He
definitely was one of a kind as Wally said.

The Hangover Room is still at the Marriott for the now "Sweet and Hot
festival", and thanks to Wally, many of the faces are still the same
over the years, but the likes of Jackie Coon will not be seen there again.

As the probably tin pan alley Hawaiian Song says. "Farewell until we
meet again."  Aloha Jackie.

Lowell aka Mad Dog