[Dixielandjazz] Why Do People Love Bad Art?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 28 06:44:12 PDT 2007

"Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis" wrote (polite snip)

> As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And that's it in a nutshell.

Put another way, one person's bad art is another's good art.

Like how many LOVE Kenny G's art?

And how many hate Coltrane, Cecil Taylor, et al. Yet aren't they musician's
musicians? (to most musicians excepting Dixelanders? <grin>)

Perhaps Art is best defined broadly: #1) "The human ability to make things;
creativity of man as distinguished from the world of nature". Webster's New
World College Dictionary-Third Edition.

If that, and the rest of the definitions suggested are correct, then who
among the critics and/or knowledgeable people in any art genre is able to
generalize that A is good art and B is bad art? Who can speak for the rest
of us in the audience? Worse yet, who can accurately judge "Art"?

We can only say that "In my opinion" this form of art is good (or bad). And
to some, that opinion will be right and to others, it will be ludicrous.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone