[Dixielandjazz] Maine DJMLers and/or jazz musicians

Craig I. Johnson civanj at roadrunner.com
Mon Aug 27 14:32:11 PDT 2007

I'm sure that Rick did not mean that he and I are the only
trad or dixielanders in Maine. Rather, he mentioned just the
ones we've noted on the DJML.
Jack Moser, to my knowledge does not subscribe to the DJML
tho' he and Chris Harris aare indeed fine musicians. Unfortunately
they are far north from here and it takes a pretty well-paying
gig for us to get together, due to the time and cost of travel.

There are actually a reasonable number of jazz musicians
around the state both full-time and summer, enough of whom
play trad to amount to about 5 or 6 bands total with some overlap
of personnel. Now if there were only enough gigs for that many bands.....
(We're talking about an area which had a concert of the "3 Tenors"
namely Harry Allen, Ken Peplowski & Scott Hamilton, at a cheap
price and it only filled about 2/3 of the auditorium at a good sized school
even with much advance advertising. -- by the way it was a great concert.)

It's a bit hard to get excited over playing mostly retirement homes and
restaurant owners who want dixieland played "soft and low",  but
don't let's started talking about how to advertise and scout for jobs or
grants;
my years of "Hustlin' and Bustlin' for Baby" are in the past.

Craig Johnson