[Dixielandjazz] Bagpipes

Kay Spencer kay2840 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 21 22:41:44 PDT 2007

You might also come to  the conclusion that bugles were solely for funerals if that were the only location that you heard them. (g)   I've also frequently heard bagpipes at Celtic festivals and the many Scottish games in various locations in California.  The somewhat melancholy sound can also be found at the Inn at Spanish Bay in Pebble Beach each evening...as an alternative to taps...

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsT_Ayw0NmY

  Kay

Don Ingle <dingle at nomadinter.net> wrote:
  It has Celtic origons - bopth Sctos and Irish. the Sctos army units had
pipers to lead them into battle, so there is a miltary salute history,
pipes for a fallen warrior. And of course in early years the firemen and
piliceman jobs were often filled by Irish and so this same dirge for a
fallen comrade cintinues. It is also found in every corner of the world
where the British Empire existed.
In military funerals, the piper will play then walkaway and letting the
sound diminish. The Scots sogn, You take the hight road ad I'll take the
low road was supposed to be a farewell frin a captured Scot who was to
be put to death fior following Prince Charlie, and is saying good bye to
a compade. The "High Road" is life, the "Low Road" is death death.
"And I'lll be in Scotland before you."
Perhaps no sound is more mournful -- or fitting to salute a fallen warrior.
Don Ingle