[Dixielandjazz] Jelly Roll Jazz Band Gig Ending

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Mon Aug 20 08:15:36 PDT 2007

Unhappily, I have to report that the Jelly Roll Jazz Band' weekly gig at the
Asian Paradise Cafe in Martinez, California is coming to an end.

The owners of the restaurant are very pleased with the band, and equally
pleased with the number of customers we've been bringing through their
doors. Over the past couple of months, even during the normally slower
summer restaurant season, the banquet room where we play has been getting
fuller and fuller on Saturday nights.

Rather, the issue is a rent increase. The landlord who owns the building is
raising the already high rent and will not negotiate other terms with the
restaurant owners, so the owners are closing the restaurant.

This means that the band's final appearance at this location will be
this coming Saturday night:

Saturday, August 25
* Asian Paradise Cafe
* 414 Ferry Street, Martinez, CA
* 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM
* (925) 957-0741 for reservations.
* Ask to be in the room with the Jelly Roll Jazz Band.

(We're expect a lot of folks, so we particularly recommend reservations for
this final
Saturday night.)

Band leader Ted Shafer is already seeking a new venue where the band can
perform each week. Several of the band's loyal followers are also looking
for venues, and putting Ted in touch with possible locations.

The owners of the Asian Paradise Cafe are also looking for a new location
where they can re-open the restaurant.  They hope to find a suitable
facility, with room for a dance floor and a small stage, to resume the
weekly appearances by the Jelly Roll Jazz Band.

If you're in the North Bay area and know of a location in the Benicia -
Martinez - Concord - Walnut Creek area that might be a good venue for the
Jelly Roll Jazz Band, please give Ted a call or drop me an email. (You may
reply privately to this me, and I'll get the information to Ted promptly.)

Thanks....

Jim O'Briant, tuba
Ted Shafer's the Jelly Roll Jazz Band