[Dixielandjazz] What is Jazz?

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Fri Aug 17 15:03:31 PDT 2007

Steve wrote, regarding my opinion of Armstrong's playing, (Jazz or not
Jazz):

(snip)
> Like I said in quoting Louis "Jazz is what YOU are." Since I
> agree with that statement 100%, I MUST therefore agree with YOUR opinion,
> even though mine is different.
(snip)

Steve, are you sure you are not still an attorney???

Steve further wrote:

(snip)
> Keep listening to all those pop tunes Louis played. You're bound to hear
> some non-jazz in there, along with some jazz. <grin
(snip)

Sure, you'll hear some non-Jazz played as accompaniment, but everything
Louis
sang or played on his trumpet was Jazz. . . . His phrasing, selection of
notes, bending of notes, scatting, it was all Jazz.

 --Bob Ringwald