[Dixielandjazz] Re. Upcoming Sweet and Hot Festival - intimate venues

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Fri Aug 17 13:34:34 PDT 2007

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 23:51:13 -0500
From: Lowell Busching <verbose at daktel.com>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Upcoming Sweet and Hot Festival. labor Day
[excerpt from Lowell]
> ...If you should make it into the Hangover Room, stop and say hi
> either to myself or Stan Brager, a member of the DJML. One of us WILL
> be on duty at the sound board...

List mates,

I thank Lowell for mentioning the Sweet & Hot Music Festival in L.A., which
combines the best of a "jazz festival" and "jazz party" all into one.

Mad Dog mentioned that he and Stan will be in THE HANGOVER venue. This room
is my favorite at the Sweet & Hot because it is small and offers an intimate
setting, allowing musicians to relax and interact with their audience. That
kind of interplay and connection makes it an experience, not just another
listening session. While trad sets are fine outside in daylight and in
brightly-lit venues, I much prefer seeing all-stars (like they feature at S
& H, with their more modern repertoire and soulful ballads) in the
Hangover's dark and cozy nightclub setting rather than in a large, well-lit
ballroom. I can't speak for the musicians, but I imagine that playing
something so personal as a jazz solo would feel more natural, and flow more
easily, in these intimate settings. (Again, different story for trad. bands,
which the Sweet & Hot also includes, along with swing and other things,
outside by the pool or inside several large ballrooms with plenty of room
for dancers. CHAMPIONS bar is also a fun venue there.)

I love the way the lobby of the Marriott is still rockin' at 3:00 a.m. every
night of the festival.

Day badges are available for as little as $25 on Monday.

See you there, Mad Dog and Stan!

Love and hugs,
Nancy