[Dixielandjazz] What is Jazz?

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Aug 16 23:48:43 PDT 2007

Someone wrote:

>>> Some, like Armstrong, played the same solo over and over. Is that Jazz?

Steve Barbone answered:

Steve wrote:
> hey Bob:
>
> Didn't you, as the listener, just define jazz above? If not, who? <grin>.
>>From my point of view as a listener, not everything Louis did was jazz.

I reply:
Touché.

However, regarding your comment, "From my point of view as a listener, not
everything Louis did was jazz.", IMO regardless of who Louis recorded with,
no matter in what setting, no matter what style the band was playing, he
always played Jazz.

 If you disagree, please point out on which recording he did not play Jazz.

--Bob Ringwald