[Dixielandjazz] Bix

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Aug 16 08:44:22 PDT 2007

Rotary valve horns - especially trumpet/cornets - were/are rare in US
jazz, but are more often played in "classical/symphonic" groups. I do
see rotary valve tubas in some current bands, but piston valve tubas
are predominant. Rotary valve horns are more commonly used in Europe,
especially in Balkan Brass bands, and also in Civil War era re-
creation bands.

  I have a few rotor valve cornets, baritones and tubas of various
ages - It is much harder to half-open or slur the rotor valve horns
(not impossible, but tricky) and the levers, joints and strings that
move the rotors are much more complicated (and harder to align and
repair.)

The really tricky horn to master is the "Keyed Bugle" - imagine a
thin folded soprano sax with a trumpet mouthpiece - that was used
from the early 1800s  - I have a few amazing recordings of this
beast! (but not jazz.)  The larger Ophicleide is equally difficult to
play well - I have been trying to learn to play mine for 10 years!

Dave Richoux

http://tinyurl.com/yvyrga
http://tinyurl.com/2bvfp2