[Dixielandjazz] What is Jazz

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Aug 16 08:22:27 PDT 2007

Steve Barbone wrote:

(snip)
> Some, like Armstrong, played the same solo over and over. Is that Jazz?
> Sure, if the listener wants it to be.
 (snip)

As far as I am concerned, it is not up to the listener to decide whether
Armstrong's repeated solos were  Jazz.  Even if they were repeated time
after time, they were still Jazz.

Even though he may have played the same solos, there was always something a
little different about them.  He was not playing in a symphony orchestra,
trying to play the exact same way every time.  he was improvising on his own
solos.

--Bob Ringwald