[Dixielandjazz] Bix

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Thu Aug 16 00:18:26 PDT 2007

I've read that Bix played on the old Conn Victor rotary cornets
with a mouthpiece with a deep cup. I think a sound a player
produces comes from how their mouth is constructed and less to
do with equipment. I've seen people spend thousands on new horns
and mouthpieces to sound like Bix, Miles or Lee Morgan.

Mike

On 07/27/07, Dan Ostler <dan_ostler at hotmail.com> wrote:

 > >but does it really give one an idea why Bix has
 > >been so idolized by his generation?  So far, I have not yet
heard a CD
 > >(including "Bixology") on which that elusive "silver tone"
quality of
 > >his was reproduced (it is even on my old reel-to-reel tapes
made from
 > >LPs)
 >
 > That has me wondering as well. As a trumpet player, I have
chased this up
 > and down, including buying similar horns, and never come
across anything to
 > substantiate the legend.  Nice sound? yes. Terrific sound?
not really...

--
"Just when you're sure something can't be done,
somebody will come along and do it."

-Thelonious Sphere Monk (1917-1982)