[Dixielandjazz] jazz definitions

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Wed Aug 15 15:10:51 PDT 2007

Re:  your discussion about what is ( and isn't) jazz

I realize that making a few simplistic statements to this group with much
experience and strong opinions can be hazardous.

However, let me make some observations.

This is how I explain it to myself and to those who ask what makes jazz
"jazz."

Three essential elements:

1.  rhythmic pulse ( sense of "swing')

2.  use of blues scale-that is flatted 3rds, 5ths and dominant 7ths

3  improvisation

Lacking any one of these, then it may be jazz-like ( for example Gershwin's
Rhapsody in Blue) but it isn't jazz.

( A digression here is in order-In Don Rayno's book ( Paul Whiteman: Pioneer
in American Music, Studies in Jazz 43, The Scarecrow Press, Inc. Lanham,
Maryland and Oxford  C 2003. pp 775 list $49.50) The  on the life of Paul
Whiteman the story is told about the commissioning of Gershwin to write some
"American music" for the famous Aeolian Hall concert of 1924.  He'd
forgotten about it until he was reminded a couple of weeks before the
scheduled concert.  Gershwin would sit at the piano each day and improvise
until he found something he liked.  Then he'd write it down.  Each evening
Ferde Grofe' would come by and pick up what he'd written and orchestrate it.
Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue was such a hit, that it had to be performed on
each subsequent appearance of the Whiteman Orchestra.  They'd speed up the
tempo in order to make more time for other pieces.  Of course, subsequently,
they had other pianists to play the piano part. )

I like to tell those who ask, that big band music is "near-jazz," explaining
that with 16 pieces (or more) music has to be arranged to keep the musicians
from getting in each other's way.  The reason it can qualify as jazz is that
the arranger leaves the solo parts notated as just chord symbols.  Hence 8
to 16 bars can be improvised, thereby qualifying as jazz.

I have been told that Red Nichols ( you scholars and others older and wiser
can confirm or refute this) made his soloists write out their improvised
solos after they were recorded since those future listeners wanted to hear
the solo repeated exactly as they remembered from the recording.  I was
told, further, that the musicians HATED that practice!

Thanks.

Norman--- Can't wait for your responses--Vickers

F. Norman Vickers

3720 McClellan Road

Pensacola, FL 32503-3412

850-432-9743 (home)

850-324-5022 (cell)

850-433-8382 ( Jazz Society of Pensacola)

nvickers1 at cox.net ( that's ONE not L)

www.jazzpensacola.com