[Dixielandjazz] Jazz palling on repetition? (was "Brubeck")

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 14:49:27 PDT 2007

I agree!
By the way, the British trombone player Roy Crimmins (a founder member
of the Alex Welsh band) told me taht, when he joined Harry Gold and
the Pieces of Eight, that band had all the trombone solos  written
down.  After a while, he became tired of having to play the sma solos
over and over again (Roy does not play anymore, but he was a great
improviser) and asked Harry Gold whether he could play his own solos.
The answer was: "By all means!"  It turned out that the band had to
write the trombone solos down because Roy's predecessor could not
improvise!
Cheers
SUPPORT LIVE JAZZ