[Dixielandjazz] Dixie Stompers

eupher dude eupher61 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 12 13:00:47 PDT 2007

>Where did this band come from?
>They do San Andreas Fault!
>
>http://delmark.com/delmark.229.htm

Rev Jimmy Haislip, Al Mason, and Don Franz (all from St Louis, Al and Don
with the St Louis Ragtimers) are the basis of that version of the Dixie
Stompers.  The band had originally been together some years before (don't
have the disc in front of me, but the Webster Records site has the relevant
data, I think) and this was a second reunion recording.  While I don't
particularly care for the female vocalist (she has a great voice, but it
shows that she had never really done nor listened to OKOM in its pure form)
the band has a good sound and they project a lot of love for and respect of
the music.  Good stuff.  Highly recommended! (Although, "All of Me" could
have stood to be at least 1 step higher for the vocals...but that's one of
my few gripes)

steve "had the disc for about 8 years now" hoog