[Dixielandjazz] Amatooers and Beauzeaus

Bob Loomis miltloomis at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 10:33:08 PDT 2007

    I'd just like to add to all the hot debate
hereabouts by saying that my band Old Dog isn't
playing free gigs -- or any gigs -- at present,
so none of you have to worry about us stealing
jobs ... you are all welcome to all the
coffeehouse gigs for tips, drinks and snacks that
you can line up!
    Thanks to our and the coffeehouse owner's
decisions not to spend a dime on promotion and
advertising (I like to think it was that and not
the quality or lack thereof in our music), our
audiences often were smaller than the band. And
there were so many of us that apparently we were
drinking up the profits even as we played faster
with each cup of java ... well, we played in
various coffeehouses for about 5 years, helped
drive two out of business! We ought to rename
ourselves the Bankruptcy Blues Band.
   Now we just sit on the deck or patio or in
someone's living room and play once a week. Hey,
it's a regular gig and the costs for gas are
minimal. Nor do we have to load, unload, set up,
take down, load and unload and put away
equipment. That might be the best part of all.
;^)

Bob Loomis
Concord CA