[Dixielandjazz] Sachmo Festival

Margaret Squires saxymargeaux at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 8 10:51:23 PDT 2007

I was there.

  Quite hot is an understatement!  I can handle heat, it's the humidity that kicks my butt!!

  We got a package deal from Priceline.  $1000 for six nights at the Bourbon Orleans, airfare from California, and trip insurance (just in case a hurricane hit).

  We had a great time.  Spent several nights at Fritzel's.  We were surprised to see Dave Ruffner playing with Ryan Burrage.  Saw Charmaine Neville with Tim Laughlin, Treme Brass Band, Free Agents Brass Band (a band formed after Katrina that helps youth find an outlet in music instead of crime), MoLASSES Band, Leroy Jones, and Kermit Ruffins.  Tried to get to Donna's but the night we went they had no music.  We went to the Jazz Mass at St. Augustine's and participated in the Second Line from the Church to Armstrong Park (where we sang "Happy Birthday" to Satchmo) to the Old Mint where the festival was held.  I thought I was going to pass out a few times from the heat and humidity.  Other than that, it was a terrific experience.

  Outside of the festival, we wandered the streets of the French Quarter, took a Cemetery/Voodoo tour, and took the dinner/jazz cruise with the Dukes of Dixieland on the Natchez.  We did our best to contribute to the recovery of the NO economy!!  We had to pay extra on the flight home due to the over weight suitcase that contained our souvenirs.

  This was my fifth trip to NO, the first since Katrina.  The city feels different.  Like someone who got sucker punched and is still trying to get off the ground, but is determined to get up.  I was shocked at the prices, specially the restaurants.  But with taxes, insurance, and electricity rates doubling or tripling, I guess it's not such a surprise.  Another thing I noticed was the abundance of "For Rent" and "For Sale" signs around the quarter.  Lots of vacant property.

  We're already making plans to attend French Quarter Fest in April.

  Margaret

  Did anyone go? It was quite hot, but the festival was small and lots of
fun. I went to a lecture on Armstrong's swing style. Very
interesting. I found a very quaint hotel for $46 per night "The French
Quarter Courtyard Hotel" .