[Dixielandjazz] Playing For Free and Other Sorrows

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Wed Aug 8 10:12:42 PDT 2007

TCASHWIGG at aol.com wrote:

> Success in this business does indeed come in several
> categories and  degrees, what guys like Steve Barbone and I
> are simply trying to point out to  the
> general list is another way to move up the ladder as you do
> get  better.

Your statement assumes that everyone here WANTS to move up the ladder and
make more money playing.  That simply isn't so for everyone.

> The constant resistence to what we have freely offered
> to all is very frustrating.

> Even when other bandleaders have come on the list and thanked
> us for  showing them some things tahat drastically increased
> their performance fees and quality of the gigs they are getting now.

If bandleaders are thanking you for what you said, that doesn't sound like
resistance to your recommendations.  What is offensive to many here is not
what you have freely offered.  It's HOW you offer it and HOW OFTEN you offer
it, and how much profanity and how many insults accompany your "free offer."

> And guys like Larry in St. Louis who hustles and works it
> like a business and freely shares his ideas and sucesses with
> everyone, as does Elazar in Israel  who had to start it all
> on the street against far worse odds than any of you has
> shown that doing things our way does pay off over time even
> under the often dire  circumstances that he has to deal with
> in an often hostile  culture.

Somehow, Larry and Eliazar have managed to share what they do without
profanity and without insults.  Are you not capable of the same?

> All we are trying to tell you is that if you continue to play
> for free, the only gigs you will be asked to do are free ones
> because eery time you play on you are promoting your fee and
> your perceived worth.

Gee!  I think I've heard that somewhere before.  Several hundred times.

Do you think we're all so stupid that we don't get your message?

> There is a better way and us loud mouthed arrogant bastards
> have been trying to show you for years.

Your way may be better for you, but it is not the only way.  It may come as
a shock to you, but there may be people who play for reasons other than
making as much money as possible. For some, your way may NOT be better, and
may not be realistic or even possible. For you to assume that your way is
the only way is indeed (to use your term) arrogant.

>  SO you don't have
> to believe it but don't  come back here and attack the good
> messengers who tried o help you.  That's  what is called
> Biting the Hand that is trying to Feed You. :))

For my part, my objection isn't to the message, nor to the messenger. I
don't know the messenger well enough to object or not object, and I agree
with the message. I've turned down gigs that didn't pay enough, and I will
continue to do so. On the other hand, I will also reserve the right to
accept any gig for any amount of money I choose, and if I do that I don't
need to justify my decision or share my reasons with anybody, including you.

My objection is to the way your "free offer" is delivered, which includes
calling everyone who doesn't bow down and kiss the messenger's feet a
"whore" or a "pig" or an "amateur" who makes "crappy music" or any of the
other insults that have been in your most recent barrage.

You claimed in a private email that you didn't intend those insults to apply
to me, personally.  Well, you wrote the insults, and when you sent the
insults to the DJML you sent them to me.  If you want your insults to apply
only to certain individuals, then send them ONLY to those individuals.
Whatever you send to everybody, you are saying to everybody.

To adapt an old saying, "What you do (in this case, the way you insult your
readers) speaks so loud that we can't hear what you're saying."

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA