[Dixielandjazz] Miles Davis nonet (was "Political Correctness - Part 2 - Birth of The Cool")

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 14:00:06 PDT 2007

on 8/7/07 2:48 PM, Robert Smith at robert.smith at tele2.no wrote:

> I have just one recording of a Miles Davis Group with nine players ("Darn
> That Dream" - March 09, 1950), and this includes the three players plus
> Miles named in the article posted by Steve Barbone. There is, however, no
> one listed in the line-up named Evans, so who was this Evans (Bill?, Gil?)?
>
> Cheers
>
> Bob Smith

Hi Bob:

Here are the personnel on the Birth of the Cool recordings. GIL Evans did
some of the arranging. On Boplicity and Moon Dreams as I remember, Maybe
more. BILL Evans recorded with Miles at other times. Some of his great work
is on the sides with Coltrane, Cannonball Adderly, Miles, et al. Some time
in the late 1950s give or take. That was a legendary group also

Cheers,
Steve

Personnel on "The Birth of the Cool" Recordings.

    Miles Davis ­ trumpet (all)
    Bill Barber ­ tuba (all)
    Lee Konitz ­ alto saxophone (all)
    Gerry Mulligan ­ baritone saxophone (all)
    Kai Winding ­ trombone (January 1949)
    J.J. Johnson ­ trombone (April 1949, March 1950)
    Junior Collins ­ French horn (January 1949)
    Sandy Siegelstein ­ French horn (April 1949)
    Gunther Schuller ­ French horn (March 1950)
    Al Haig ­ piano (January 1949)
    John Lewis ­ piano (April 1949, March 1950)
    Joe Shulman ­ bass (January 1949)
    Nelson Boyd ­ bass (April 1949)
    Al McKibbon ­ bass (March 1950)
    Max Roach ­ drums (January 1949, March 1950)
    Kenny Clarke ­ drums (April 1949)
    Kenny Hagood ­ vocal ("Darn That Dream" only)