[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 56, Issue 5

Adrian Ford maggief at pop3.syd.comcen.com.au
Sun Aug 5 09:58:40 PDT 2007

Larry, Listen to St. Louis Blues as played by New Orleans clarinet
players (George Lewis etc.). Variations of the same solo which I am led
to believe was originated by one the Shields brothers. Also Tin Roof
Blues; the trombone solo on the original New Orleans Rhythm Kings
record. Played in various versions on many later recordings. Was it a
third theme? At the time of the recording solos were not a feature for
most bands. Perhaps it was looked upon as a solo because the publishers
(who wrote the words) had run out of inspiration by the time they got to
the third theme. Dippermouth Blues; it ain't the tune without the Oliver
solo bits and the vocal break.
Adrian Ford