[Dixielandjazz] Songwriter Lee Hazelwood passes away.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 11:07:06 PDT 2007

Maybe not strictly OKOM, but most of us probably fondly remember "These
Boots Was made For Walkin". This obit Snipped for brevity . .

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Lee Hazlewood, ŒBoots¹ Songwriter, Dies at 78

NY TIMES - By SIA MICHEL - August 7, 2007

Lee Hazlewood, the reclusive songwriter and producer behind a slew of hits
by Duane Eddy, Nancy Sinatra, Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin in the 1950s and
1960s, including Ms. Sinatra¹s No. 1 smash ³These Boots Are Made for
Walkin¹,² died on Saturday in Henderson, Nev. He was 78.

The cause was renal cancer, said his publicist, Perry Serpa.

Mr. Hazlewood was also an eccentric visionary who pioneered several genres.
As a solo artist, he created a sound often referred to as ³cowboy
psychedelia² for its fusion of country-western, symphonic pop orchestration
and trippy decadence. A hard-living crank with a trademark mustache, he sang
his wry tales of losers and jilted lovers in a striking, world-weary
baritone. . . snip to

. . . in 1963, Mr. Hazlewood, who had relocated to Los Angeles, found
himself embraced by the Rat Pack. At Frank Sinatra¹s request, he began
working with his daughter Nancy.

³He was part Henry Higgins and part Sigmund Freud,² Ms. Sinatra told The
Times this year, referring to Mr. Hazlewood¹s campaign to change her image.
Cheeky video footage for ³These Boots Are Made for Walkin¹ ² turned her into
a major sex symbol in the mid-¹60s. That song has since been used in scores
of movies, television shows and commercials, and performed or recorded by
hundreds of artists.

³If I didn¹t have any other hit but ŒBoots,¹ I should be a thankful person,²
Mr. Hazlewood said in January. ³It¹s eternal, I guess ‹ a living thing.²

remainder snipped for brevity.