[Dixielandjazz] could get a CUt in pay

LRG4003 at aol.com LRG4003 at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 10:27:25 PDT 2007

Mighty high soapbox you're  proppin' yourself up on there partner.

Given your  background....
"established  one of the first concert promotion companies, and booking
agencies in Northern California."   And given that your band plays a  variety of
styles---Hybrid New Orleans Jazz (whatever that is), Funk Soul,  R&B , Blues and
Gospel at major Jazz and Blues festivals."... Then  you certainly have some
promotional background that most on this list don't, as well as offering a
broader range of playing style that could a attract a more and different
audiences (as Barbone does which, of course, is an option for all of us).
(inserted snips)
Based on that alone it stands to  reason that you should be more successful
than the "ignorant",  "mediocre", "thickheaded" folks on this list who "never
ventured past the city limits of where ever you live and stay in a close knit
little incestuous circle of local legends and therefore nobody ever hears
about  you or invites you to go past the county line."
Hey, now you tell me, I'm actually  playing 3 counties south of here weekend
after next, maybe I should  cancel.

(Snip)
 "When I get a call for a good show I deliver one and the more  money they
pay the better show they get.   If they don't have enough  for a good show, then
don't call me because I compete in Quality not  quantity."

How do you present this on your rate card?  "For the basic fee we show  up
and walk around listlessly but for an extra $200 you get all of the drummers
using two sticks and we'll make sure the horns are mostly in tune?"  I  usually
play with people who play their asses off whatever the  circumstance.  Based
on this it sounds like if you get enough money, but  not a lot, you may just
sort of show up and only half ass through the  gig.

I clearly see both sides to this  issue.  As you, Larry Walton, Steve Barbone
and others consistently point  out we need to work hard to dig up the
opportunities that do exist and we need  to charge fairly for them when we can.
(Snip)
"some who don't get paid what they are worth should not bitch about it
because they could get a cut in pay."
I really wasn't bitching about not  getting paid enough.  Simply observing
that making money isn't always the  sole or even paramount reason for playing
music of any type.  For those of  you to whom it is, more power and success to
you.

To a man with a hammer every problem  looks like a nail.  So I guess to a guy
with a bass drum other opinions  should just expect a good beating.
Still on the firing line.  K.C.  Clarinet