[Dixielandjazz] Tom's different World

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Mon Aug 6 18:15:18 PDT 2007

Ah yes Tommy - -we do live in a different world - -yours from mine, and
perhaps from a lot of us.  I personally know many on the DJMl list and
know that they do not get the huge bucks that you do.  Please, please
hire me so that I can roll in dough and not have to continue
sacrificing my talents for the meager dole I take for so many jobs.
Bring me up into the "real world" as you know it.  Knowing how much you
make per gig, as you described it,  you must drive one hell of a big
fancy new car and live with a view on top of a hill with a maid and
butler.

Barbone said  " Bill - - - -Stay Home and tell them to hire a local
band for that kind of money, Nobody should be so desperate as to drive
2.5 to 3 hours each way and play a gig for $60.00.

Music is supposed to make better math students out of us :))
Apparently it did not for many.

I book my band for enough money to cover all the expenses, air, train,
bus, van rentals, taxis, gasoline, excess baggage, porter tips, and
usually meals on the road, and we don't do $60.00 a man gigs 3 hours
from home.  Hell we don't do $60.00 gigs across the street when we can
walk to them.

If band leaders would get back to running a band like a business and
charge accordingly this industry might one day get back to being a
respectable way to earn a decent living.

   Hobbyist should constrain themselves to playing in the local
community Band  and stop whoreing the marketplace for professional
players trying to earn an honest living.

No wonder nobody gets a solid tour any more.

You get what you pay for :))

Only a desperate bored person would get in his car and drive 3 hours
each way and play a gig for $60.00,  no wonder Habib is making so much
money in the corner gas station.

Man oh man am I over paying all my men !   or what ?  We know Barbone
is giving away the store with his band too.

END of QUOTE***********

You're not over-paying your men, but you're  kind of beating the crap
out of the rest of us who do take all those lesser jobs.   In a perfect
world, each and every one of us would be paid really well for our
talents.  I congratulate you for having found Heaven-on- Earth where
you are paid only the big bucks.

I was only trying to toss a " riders-help-pay-for- the -trip-to the
gig" into the DJMl arena for discussion whether you're going to a gig
for 10 bucks of the thousands you command - -- -but not to be "dissed"
for taking jobs that don't meet your financial standards - - - You
basically called a lot of us whores  - -Here's where you said it "
Hobbyist should constrain themselves to playing in the local community
Band  and stop whoreing the marketplace for professional players trying
to earn an honest living."  That's like me saying that you don't know
English because you didn't put an 's' on "Hobbyist" , or didn't
hyphenate "over-paying" .   . . Then perhaps I should be telling you  ,
" If you can't use the language correctly, don't write comments"
Right?

Bill "desperate and bored aka the whore" Sharp

P.S.   It's "Community Band"  and not "community Band"
(P.S #2  Go get 'im Barbone, it's your turn at 'im)