[Dixielandjazz] Playing for free

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Aug 6 17:57:08 PDT 2007

A musical whore is one who plays "In the Mood" for the 7 thousandth time
even though they hate it but they do it for the money and smile at the
customers while they do it.

So then what is a musician that plays for free?  Since you used the word
Whore I would use the word "slut".  That is one who still does it but could
care less who they do it with and takes on all comers as often as possible
sometimes in the middle of the street for free.

It makes it very difficult for musicians who depend on their talent and work
to make a living if someone is giving it away free.  Charity is a noble
thing, depriving someone of his living isn't.

The guy who plays piano for me supplements his retirement with working the
Senior communities as does my Cornet player.  They live on very modest
retirement incomes and try to maintain a semblance of middle class
existence.  They too enjoy playing and doing all the things you do but they
need the money.  By playing free you are competing with people who need the
money.

The Senior venues are mandated to have a certain amount of entertainment for
their guests each month and entertainment is a factor in their bottom line.
They profit from your work.  Why shouldn't you.

You should ask, has the place ever paid for entertainment?  If the answer is
yes then I think you might re-think what you are doing.  Find out what the
going rate is and then donate it to something if you must.

Gathering on some random corner to play is probably less harmful to the pro
or semi pro musician and might lead to actual jobs where there was none
before as Elizar has often pointed out.  Doing that is generally illegal
here.

There may be things that might be OK to play for free but think carefully
about it first.
Larry Walton
St. Louis