[Dixielandjazz] Playing for free

JDut953944 at aol.com JDut953944 at aol.com
Mon Aug 6 15:32:57 PDT 2007

Does this make me a whore?  But, I love to play my clarinet and I  play on a
street corner once a month with a group of musicians, some of  whom have their
own bands.  We donate our tips to funding young  musicians jazz camps.  I was
so pleased when I was asked to join in with  them.  It didn't occur to me to
think about this being "free."  What  occurred to me was that it was going to
be a lot of fun, I love people watching,  dog watching, and whatever else
happens to meander by.  We were told to  play quietly so as not to scare the
horses, pulling the carriages - like in New  Orleans - who also were giving free
rides.  What a kick.  We also  played for free last month at a retirement
center.  Goodness were we  insulted by one of the older gents who used to play in
the big bands!   Nobody but nobody could play like he did!  We go around once in
this  life.  I will play all the music I can, while I can play it!  Yes it's
nice to get a nice bunch of cash at the end of a gig.  But the enjoyment I
get out of just playing any old where is nice too.

Carol, Clarinet