[Dixielandjazz] Need Lyrics- Without My Walkin' Stick

Scott Anthony santh at pacbell.net
Mon Aug 6 14:27:06 PDT 2007

I purchased the Irving Berlin Fake Book, published by Hal Leonard, a number
of years ago and found that the lyrics and major portions of a number of the
tunes were drastically different from the original sheet music. A case in
point is "I'll See You in C-U-B-A." The tune is a Prohibition protest tune,
but in the fakebook all references to drinking and alcohol were stripped
plus they screwed with the key of the verse and chorus. The original I think
is in D but we usually do it in C so I can reach all the notes. At any rate,
in C the verse goes from Cm to C and then the chorus is in C as well. Hal
Leonard in their infinite wisdom changed the verse to Am and the chorus in C
making it have quite a different "feel" when going from verse to chorus.

I called Hal Leonard and complained because who knows what other lyrics and
keys in the book got changed. They didn't give a crap, and told me that
tastes and times change. It probably also had a lot to do with copyrights
and being able to extend the terms of their royalties by publishing a new
"arrangement."

Scott Anthony