[Dixielandjazz] Equally sharing travel expenses

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Mon Aug 6 08:09:05 PDT 2007

With the cost of gasoline these days, here's what I do on long trips to
encourage car pooling  - - - - - I, when I'm in the leader position,
pay everyone less than what the gig pays(say $20) then tell them that
when they take their car, they get the $20 back.  Then, for each
passenger, the driver gets the other person's allotted $20 gas/travel
expense.

Let's say  that you have a  van and 4 people ride with you - - -then
you get $20 as the driver, then also paid $80 as a driver of 4 people.
  That's only $100 bucks for the driver, but it's bound to cost much
more that that to drive to and from a gig that's 2.5 hours away,  and
would'nt you pay just $20 for a ride up and back?  That's cheap!!

  If you feel magnanimous, you can lower your scale, but make it the
same for everyone.   (See what even a bus ride would cost,  also what I
believe is a fair assessment scale, next paragraph).

Currently I think it's fair to asses each person about $10 for each
hour of round trip travel.  Example:  let's say it's 1 hour to get to a
gig- - then the rider's fee is $10.  That pays for the round trip.  And
that's cheap for the person not having to take their car.  (Just think
what it costs in gas alone for you to get in your car and drive for 2
hours)

If someone wants to go by themselves, then fine, give them the original
full amount  and send them on their way.  This type of arrangement
encourages car-pooling, and fairly/equally reimburses the driver.  I
started this when people were riding with me long distances, and at the
end there's always that akward time when people are offering to pay for
gas, and different people offer various amounts, and no one is sure
what to offer.   Some are generous, some miserly, and some offer
nothing.  This has been a good remedy.  I gladly pay an "even share"
when I get to ride with others, because I know how fair the share is,
costing me far less than if I had to drive - -plus, not being behind
the wheel leaves me rested for the gig, and refreshed when I get home.
We often discuss the "fair-share" amount at a rehearsal.

People who are "cheap-to-the-bone", hate this idea because they
probably weren't going to pay the driver anything anyway. . . ..
especially if it's one of those jobs that's 3 hours away that pays $60
a man and, according to my travel scale, you should honorably pay the
driver $30.  Seems like way too much because you're only getting $60
bucks  in the first place, right ? ?  ?O.K. - -so don't ride with
anyone - -take you own car and drive the 6 hours (3 up, 3 back) by
yourself and see what it costs you, plus how much fun you have riding
alone.  Oh well, then you do end up with the full $60 (which I'll bet
you have to use to fill up your car's tank).

If the leader makes the rules and the payments   - -it makes it fair
for everyone, on an absolutely equitable basis.

I think this is something I'd like to see discussed, besides being
cussed.