[Dixielandjazz] Crumb - The Original soundtrack

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 3 17:02:06 PDT 2007

Hans en Corrie Koert wrote:
> I have a copy of the CD ( RYKODISC RCD 10322) with the Original
> Soundtrack
> of the 1995 R. Crumb documentary CRUMB.
> The discographical information is marginal. Some tracks seem to be
> played by
> R. Crumb himself, some seem original, piano roll or 78rpm, others by
> musicians like Craig Ventresco (and his Bo Grumpus). Has someone ever
> researched the track list for discographical information?

Dear Hans,
I've seen the film, but do not have a copy.
As you know Robert Crumb was/is an 'underground' cartoonist for ZAP
Comix and a founder-member of the group The Cheap Suit Serenaders.
Here is what I have, which I've checked against my CD.
All the music for the film was arranged and performed by David
Boeddinghaus (piano) and/or Craig Ventresco (guitar) as noted
The names in brackets are the original composers/ (Joseph Lamb).
David Boeddinghaus is the well-known, longtime New Orleans pianist with
singer/banjoiist/bandleader Banu Gibson. On a visit to Australia with
The Swedish Jazz Kings some years ago, David stayed with us here in
Sydney. A musician/record collector he is an extremely knowledgeable. A
wonderful pianist who really knows his stuff.

1.  	Ragtime Nightingale (Joseph Lamb)
	Performed by David Boeddinghaus, p.
2.  	Sensation Rag  (Joseph Lamb)
	Performed by Craig Ventresco, g.
3.  	Harlem Strut (James P. Johnson)
	Performed by David Boeddinghaus, p.
4.  	Abraham Jefferson Washington Lee  (Sterling Von Tilzer)
	Performed by Craig Ventresco, g.
5.  	Belle Of The Philippines  (Fred Hager)
	Performed by Craig Ventresco, g.
6.  	Last Kind Word Blues (Geechie Wiley)
	Geechie Wiley, v/g; recorded Grafton, Wis. March 1930 on Paramount
12951
7.  	Radiator Cap Blues  (Ventresco)
	Performed by Craig Ventresco, g.
8.  	Gabby Glide Medley  (Hirsch)
	Performed by Craig Ventresco, g.
9.  	Frog-I-More Rag  (Ferdinand 'Jelly Roll' Morton)
	Performed by David Boeddinghaus, p.
10.  	Cocaine  (Dick Justice)
	Performed by Craig Ventresco, g.
11.  	Won't You Fondle Me Medley
          Performed by Craig Ventresco, g.
	  a. Won't You Fondle Me? (Paley)
            b. Jessamine (Gumble)
            c. My Tiger Lily (Sloane)
12.  	Pass The Jug (Frank Melrose)
	Performed by David Boeddinghaus, p.
  13.  	Skinny Leg Blues (Geechie Wiley)
	Geechie Wiley, v/g; recorded Grafton, Wis. March 1930 on Paramount
12951
14.  	Buffalo Rag  (Tom Turpin)
          Performed by Craig Ventresco, g.
15.  	35th Street Blues  (Charles J. Levy)
	Performed by David Boeddinghaus
16.  	Mabel's Dream  (Ike Smith)
	Performed by David Boeddinghaus
17.  	Wall Street Rag  (Scott Joplin)
	Performed by Craig Ventresco, g.
18.  	Hateful Blues  (Ventresco)
	Performed by Craig Ventresco, g.
19.  	A Real Slow Drag  (Scott Joplin)
	Performed by David Boeddinghaus.
20.  	Comic Montage Stomp  (Boeddinghaus/Ventresco)
	Performed by David Boeddinghaus, p; Craig Ventresco, g.
21.  	Someday Sweetheart  (John & Benjamin Spikes)
	Performed by Craig Ventresco, g.
22.  	Rag Pickings  (George Lansing)
	Performed by Craig Ventresco, g.
23.  	Black Diamond Rag  (Henry Lodge)
	Performed by Craig Ventresco, g.
24.  	Ragtime Nightingale  (Joseph Lamb)
	Performed by Craig Ventresco, g.

The following tunes were included in the film, but are not on the CD.
*	Zap Jam Boogie-Woogie (Craig Nentresco)
	Performed by Craig Ventresco
*	Shake It and Break It (Friscoe-Clark)
	Performed by King Oliver & His Orchestra. Sept.1930

Kind regards,
Bill.