[Dixielandjazz] Alphonse Picou clarinet solo

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Fri Aug 3 17:26:02 PDT 2007

Hi All.
          As Steve suggests    there is an alternative to the
traditional   account retailed by Wikipedia.
          Sam Charters  stated that the solo was created by piccolo
player Bab Frank then playing in John Robichaux's orchestra. Frank
passed it to George Baquet who made it into a clarinet feature.  (See p
253 of Exploring Early Jazz)
             Picou claimed he wrote it when playing in Manuel Perez
Imperial Orchestra around 1903. I had not heard the Tuxedo Brass Band
story, perhaps it was the Tuxedo Orchestra. Bab Frank too appears to
have played in the Tuxedo Orchestra ca 1910.
            The Dodds version, published in a number of fakebooks,
differs from all the Picou recordings I have heard. Picou's version
also differs significantly from the  piccolo score (in D presumably
written for clarinet in A)
          The earliest recording of I have heard of High Society ca
1909/10 does not include the obbligato in the piccolo part supporting
the view put forward  in a previous post that it was a later addition.
regards
  Dan Hardie
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~darnhard/EarlyJazzHistory.html
or at