[Dixielandjazz] Clarinet solo -- who was first?

Laurence Swain l.swain at comcast.net
Thu Aug 2 17:45:19 PDT 2007

Listening to the 2-CD set by Off The Record: The Complete 1923 (King Oliver) 1923 Jazz
Band Recordings, I was struck by the clarinet solo by Johnny Dodds to close "High Society
Rag".  I have been hearing that same clarinet solo on performance after performance of
"High Society" by different bands in the 60 years or so I've been listening to this music,
usually note-for-note the same as Dodds' performance in 1923.

Question: Did Dodds originate this particular solo, or was it someone else?

Larry Swain
(Backup piano player of last resort in the Boston area)