[Dixielandjazz] Banjo videos from Israel

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Wed Aug 1 08:09:10 PDT 2007

Shalom Jazz Fans,

Managed to get some decent videos from a performance last week at one of our
local folk music clubs on a kibbutz between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, near the
place where Samson grew up. I put the vids up on You Tube. Anyone interested
can peruse the vids of my solos at the following links:

Goody, Goody: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3JTtCLq4_A
You Made Me Love You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQLB5hqjwp4
New York, New York: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSm_NhQO2hc

and one of my almost famous instant banjo bands, performing Blueberry Hill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9gcUfgxSWk

I have has pretty good success with taking 2 or 3 people from my audiences,
giving them less than 10 minutes of instruction on how to strum a banjo, and
how to play 4 common chords with 2 fingers each. I get them strumming and
making the changes as I call them out, and then we put them together into
simple songs. The results are not bad, for what it is. I am trying to plant
the idea in people's heads that banjo bands are fun, and are not hard to
start up. I also continue my experiments with audience hands-on involvement
in our performances. Check it out, and you be the judge.

Enjoy,

Elazar Brandt
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble