[Dixielandjazz] free Booze - happy musicians make for great shows

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Mon Apr 30 10:43:23 PDT 2007

I always enjoy these discussions concerning 'extras' on contracts.  I
brag once more, Sac à Pulses (and every pro band I know over here) is
fed, de-thirsted, compensated for travel and lodged (when travel is more
than 200km) over and above our gig pay ON EVERY GIG.  This is not a
demand unique to our quintet.  This is standard fare.

At a concert, we are always offered drinks while we set up and sound
check.  We are usually fed (aperitif, starter, main course, cheese and
desert plus wine) before the concert which poses a small problem for
me.  I don't like to play when I'm stuffed.  I can usually defer my
cheese and desert until after the concert or, at least, the
intermission.  After returning to the concert hall, we are usually
offered drinks before getting on stage, at the intermission and then
after the concert.  The after concert drinks can be dangerous if the
organizer him/herself is drinking with us (France's drunk driving laws
are more strict than in most states in the States).

At socials, marriages and openings, we are always offered drinks while
setting up.  We usually play the before dinner cocktail before everyone
goes to sit down and eat.  Here there is finger food and Champagne a
plenty.  No, we shouldn't abuse, but hey, wolfing down a couple garlic
shrimps or smoked salmon rolls never hurt anyone.  The organizer or
guest of honor will usually make a big stink that the band has
everything we want.  This is a scene where the organizer wants to make
everyone think that we (the artists) are his close friends.  When
everyone goes off to eat, we do too.  Sometimes we eat in the same room
as the guests; sometimes we eat in a different room.  BUT, we always eat
the same thing.

When was the last time you ate coquille St. Jacques en entrée puis
magret de canard aux cèpes au plat chaud at a gig?  Its the kinda stuff
I gotta put up with at every gig.

Ok, I'm done taunting.  I'll go back to my humble lurking self once again.

All the best, Gary