[Dixielandjazz] Young Music Fans, Vol 52, Issue 57

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 29 14:13:04 PDT 2007

Culturally, I really do think this is at the heart of the "problem".  Modern
society has NOT done well by its young people in terms of what history is
all about.  Sure, history is things that went before, and that's well and
good, but be "interested" in it?  Personally, I date the death of the "be
interested in what's gone before" phenomenon, as approx 1965-70.  (Funny, I
hadn't even thought about equating it, time-wise, with the "Me Generation"!)
I was born in 1965 to older parents, and even without their actively trying
to do so, I appreciated what had gone before almost from the get-go.  Maybe
it was their own attitude to what had gone before that had bled over into
me.  I remember, 5 or 6 years of age, thinking the year "1920" was the
greatest sounding thing in the world.  It was like my "turn of the century";
I don't know why.  Of course, this early lifestyle led to my being
completely unaffected by popular music, per se, and my being labeled
"weird", "eccentric", etc.  But now that I'm a grey-haired 41-yr-old who
looks older than some 60-yr-olds, I don't particularly care!

My point is that if a young person is the biological product of someone born
after, say, 1970, the likelihood of that young person giving a schidt about
something that happened before, shall we say, 1970, is fairly slim.  Why am
I so certain?  Because I grew up with that child's parents, and that child's
parents most likely, quite simply, are to blame for their child's not caring
about anything that isn't happening in the here and now.

This orange crate is getting wobbly.  Better get down now,
----
Etc,

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon, Vicar-general
North American Old Roman Catholic Church (Utrecht Succession)
Archdiocese of California
www.naorc.org

"Simplicity, when it is not a careless gift of the Muse, is the last and
most painful achievement of conscientious self-denial." - James Russell
Lowell.