[Dixielandjazz] The State of Traditional Jazz in the UK

Jerry Brown jazzjerry at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 28 22:33:33 PDT 2007

Hi All,

A free booze story from another perspective. A few
years ago I booked a group (jazz but not traditional)
to perform and when they arrived at the gig I was busy
getting things organised so just told the bar staff to
get the musicians what they wanted and I would pay.

When I went to pay the tab was a lot higher than would
be expected for four drinks and on querying it was
told that one player had decided to have the most
expensive cocktail he could order and 'make it a
double'.
He was also heard to joke to one of the others how
clever he had been in pulling one over on me. Needless
to say I did not even think of booking that group
again and I warned anyone I could about the habits of
this particular musicians!

Incidently on the matter of musicians expenses etc.
for jazz weekends in the UK all the performers at the
Norwich Jazz Party next weekend will be receiving half
board accommodation (DBB) for the three or four days
plus travelling expenses on top of their fees whether
they are travelling from Southwold (50 miles) or
California (5334 miles) which is the case for two of
our drummers. I don't think their booze will be free
for the whole weekend though!

Cheers,

Jerry
Norwich