[Dixielandjazz] Doin' theHambone

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Thu Apr 26 23:30:17 PDT 2007

Interesting topic!

Some people say it is related to the juba dance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hambone

But I have seen several pretty good Hambone players - even the guy
who ALWAYS got a guest solo when he showed up at Bay Area jazz gigs
(sorry, cannot remember his name but I think he was still alive as
recently as the early 1990s ) that have little to do with the dance
aspect. This is more from the Minstrel Show aspect of Hambone
playing, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel_show

Anyway, they are played much like the Spoons, they are flattened
sticks of bone played by slapping them and clicking them together on
the thigh (or just about any other part of the body you can reach.
Usually they are held together in one hand so each "bone" can rattle
and make noise.

If you don't have bones you can just use your cupped hands, slapping
on the chest (like Bobby McFerrin does) or thighs. It is a pretty
open ended thing, like scat singing, mouth popping and skull drumming...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3808990741546089830&q=playing
+hambone

Dave Richoux