[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland in the Soviet Union

RICK KNITTEL knittelsportland at juno.com
Wed Apr 25 10:49:27 PDT 2007

Four Years ago, I heard the Siberian Jazz Band play at the Orange County
Jazz Festival when I was there with the BBMJB. I really enjoyed their
playing and all appeared to be well trained musicians.

15 years ago, when I subbed for Dick Dreiwitz at the Cajun in Greenwich
Village, Lev Lebidev (sp?) from the Moskow Jazz band was there on
clarinet. When I asked him if he knew how trad jazz musicians starved in
the USA, he replied "Not like they do in Russia".

Rick Knittel
JAZZBONE - The Maine Street Paraders www.mainely-jazz.com