[Dixielandjazz] Lack of young players of OKOM

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 24 12:37:27 PDT 2007

Larry bemoaned the fact that there is a dearth of young people playing
Dixieland in St. Louis.

We're lucky here in Philadelphia. For example, my sub list of trombone
players is headed up by 3 men who are under 50 and a lady who is about 30.
Same for other instruments. She can out play a lot of Jazz trombonists
around as I hear her, and travels all over the USA for gigs.

While the main guys are over 65 except for our trumpet player who is under
55, the first call subs are all fairly young.

Last Sunday's concert for the Tri State Jazz Society had 3 guys over 68, and
3 guys under 55. The valve trombone guy was born after Brad Gowans died.
Plus we had two younger black guys, trumpet & drummer.

Sometimes I use a black trombone player also and the band is half and half
in both age and color.

I guess we are lucky to have so many good Dixieland musicians in this area
who run the gamut concerning age, sex and race.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone