[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento's Youth Music Programs

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Apr 23 18:47:31 PDT 2007

STJS (Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society) youth programs pay off again.

Below is a note from Yvonne Au regarding one of her 3 musician sons.  All 3
have come up through the STJS youth programs, youth Jazz camps and monthly
Jazz Sunday meetings where they get a chance to play with the pro.s.

Here are a press release and photos (no photos) about the Thelonius Monk
Institute.
The Au family is very happy for Gordon that he got in. In fact, we strongly
believe
that the Jazz Society's jazz education programs all contributed to the
development
of Gordon's jazz performance via their music lesson scholarships, Trad Jazz
Camp,
TNT, Tailgate Room and Gold Card Lounge jam sets, Jazz Apprenticeships, &
Jubilee
youth bands.  So you can pat yourselves on your back that one of our "alums"
is now
representing us at the Monk Institute.  Students who start out learning to
play traditional
jazz certainly appear to have an advantage over other band students, don't
they?
Yvonne