[Dixielandjazz] Giordano and Nighthawks in Atlanta

Nancy Doran Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Sun Apr 22 11:10:55 PDT 2007

Hello out there in DJML Land,

For any Vince Giordano and the Nighthawks fan, I heard that they are making
a rare appearance at the Atlanta Jazz Party this weekend, but not with the
usual front line. There are three amazing reed players at the AJP this year,
and so they made up most of the front line. Dan Levinson on lead alto sax,
Allan Vache on alto sax (yep, believe it!), and Tom Fischer on tenor sax. I
heard that their version of "The Mooch" was incredible and that Giordano was
so pleased, he was beaming. There was only one cornetist where two are
required. The amazing Randy Reinhart had both sets of music in front of him
and was switching back and forth to play the most significant parts of each
one. What a gift to be such a talented reader as well as improvisor.
According to John Allred and another musician in the audience, the band was
tight and really impressed the crowd. The audience was also wowed by John
Allred, making his first-ever appearance there as a sub for Dan Barrett. I'm
told he made quite a lasting impression on them with his virtuosity. I'm
also told that the event was packed and had a mix of older and younger (baby
boomer). Glad to hear the event is thriving, now in its 18th year.
I look forward to seeing the photo of Allan on alto. Bassist Frank Tate
claims that Allan also sounds great on tenor sax ( reminiscent of Zoot
Sims). Apparently there is a recording of him on tenor somewhere out there.
I would love to hear that. Take care, everyone.

Love and hugs,
Nancy