[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: In Search of the Man Who May Have Created Jazz- New York Times

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 21 21:55:11 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Someone posited:

>In Search of the Man Who May Have Created Jazz -

Well, I hate to admit this before all of you but when it comes to the man
who created jazz . . .

---> it was me! <---

Actually it really wasn't me, but I helped.

At least to the extent that a washboard player can help.

Upon further reflection, it seems to me that NOBODY invented jazz . . . it
just sorta happened.

Same thing is probably true for:

1. folk songs
2. mariachi music
3. klezmer music
4. gypsy music
5. classical music (Hey! Who invented that!)
6. swing
7. zyedco
8. hip hop
9. rap
10. dixieland
11. bluegrass
12. what's your favorite music?

However . . .

The notion that "it just sorta happened" does NOT apply to:

1. contemporary compositions (They are deliberate concoctions meant only to
prove that people with no talent deserve a place in the music biz).

2. rap music (which is not music at all, but a deliberate attempt to annoy
normal people).

3. anything conceived by John Cage (who was clearly insane).

4. anything under the heading of "musique concréte" (anyone with a tape
recorder can be a genius!).

So there!

Bill "Gimme that old time religion" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com