[Dixielandjazz] Shtick

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 21 12:55:01 PDT 2007

Shtick started with Brown's Band From Dixieland in Chicago and then to some
of the performances by the ODJB. All sorts of funny hats, dusters, costumes,
clown suits etc.

There is a great photo of Brown's Band (circa 1915) in vaudeville garb in
Richard Sudhalter's Book, "Lost Chords".  See page 395.

Sidney Bechet also had to wear a funny hat in the Southern Syncopater's
Orchestra, See the Ken Burns Book, page 72, and then notice the "clown"
outfits on Doc Wrixon's band, page 79. Doc played on the Steckenfus Boats.

More recently, I think the "costume" evolved because of the success of The
Original Duke's Of Dixieland. They wore, straw hats, striped vests, arm
garters etc., like the bands at Red Garter, Your Father's Mustache, and
Shakey's. At that time, after WW 2, it was relevant to the audience. Some
bands today still prefer it and if it works for them fine.

Shtick has been around from the beginning and it comes and goes. I'm with
Steve (eupher dude) regarding funny costumes etc., that date the music. If
you are trying to reach the young, that old fart garb just doesn't cut it.

Black OKOM small bands, e.g. Armstrong et al, for the most part avoided that
kind of shtick, preferring the Tux or well cut suits.

Here in Philadelphia, the Dixieland "uniform" was black pants, white shirt,
and bow tie. Musicians were often mistaken for waiters. At present, Barbone
Street wears casual clothes of the musician's choice. Or for more dressy
occasions, a jacket and tie, again, of the musician's choice. Works for us
in our market versus the "black and white" garb of our competitors.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone