[Dixielandjazz] FW: Shtick

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 21 12:45:10 PDT 2007

Hello all,

The question has been raised:

>What is the origin of the whole garter belt/straw hat/red suspenders/red
>vest mentality in OKOM?

Calling such a thing a "mentality" is a way of denigrating it. One calls
certain attitudes they dislike a "mentality."

I read the question and I immediately sensed that the writer views such a
thing (the whole garter belt/straw hat/red suspenders/red vest etc.)
negatively.

Now if one sees this stuff in a positive way they use a different term
("retro").

If the question had been phrased "What is the origin of the whole garter
belt/straw hat/red suspenders/red vest retro look?" then I would have
assumed the writer viewed this as a positive thing.

In today's mentality "retro" = "cool."

I personally like the look.  It's a sort of costume party where we all can
get transported back in time to an era which seems to be simpler, less
hectic and pleasant in our memories.

It's called "nostalgia" and we all experience it from time to time. It is a
yearning to experience things belonging to the past.

So . . . "mentality" versus "retro" -- isn't language a spiffy thing to
contemplate!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Whence the sweet bird of youth?" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com